MG cars had their roots in the 1920s as a sales promotion sideline of Morris Garages, a retail sales and service centre in Oxford belonging to William Morris. MG had many owners, and by 1952, its owners, Austin, had merged with Morris, Wolseley and Riley to form the British Motor Corporation (BMC).

Under its new ownership, MG introduced the MGA in 1955, a newly styled roadster to replace the MG TF Midget. It was an all-new chassis with a sleek, modern design, and it became an instant sales success. In the car's advertising, BMC promoted it as the "first of a new line", which is why it had the "A" in its model name.

The pretty MGA proved extremely popular, safe and fun, with a high door-line that made it feel comfier than many rivals. A lively performer with a throaty roar, it boasted precise rack steering. Those unhappy with its poor security could soon opt for the civilised coupé, but access was even more of a struggle than with the roadster.

The 1489cc engine was fitted with twin H4 type SU carburettors, producing 68 horsepower. However, buyers wanted more power, and by 1958, the 1588cc Twin Cam model produced 108 horsepower.

By the time the 100,000th MGA had been built in March 1962, it was the world's best-selling sports car. 80% of production found a home in the US.

Zoom Zoom