Chapter 10: School
- Chew gum when you're studying, and then chew the same flavor when you take the test. This has been known to improve memory.
- You're 50% more likely to remember something if you speak it out loud instead of simply reading it over and over.
- Mathway.com solves all kinds of math homework problems step-by-step with explanations. WolframAlpha.com is another website that will solve problems for you.
- When doing a presentation in PowerPoint, always save it as a "PowerPoint Show" (.ppsx). This will open it directly to the slideshow.
- Writing an essay? Copy and paste it into Google translate and have the computer read it back to you. It'll be much easier to find errors this way.
- Study your notes within one day of taking them. Retention rates are 60% higher then.
- Changing the font size of periods from 12 to 14 can make a paper look significantly longer.
10 ways to increase your brain power
1. Memorize something.
2. Experience something new.
3. Play Tetris.
4. Get off the couch.
5. Think positively.
6. Eat healthily.
7. Read a book.
8. Get the right amount of sleep.
9. Turn off GPS and use street signs and a map to navigate.
10. Stop using a calculator.
- The EasyBib iPhone app will give you a bibliography on any book if you scan the barcode.
- Stop using Google.com to search for information for school essays. Use "scholar.google.com" instead. You'll find more relevant information right away.
- Stumped on a problem? Lie down. Your thought process is much faster when you're lying down, which is why you always lie down at psychiatrist appointments.
- One of the best ways to study is to pretend that you're going to have to teach the material.
- Never send your resume to someone as a Word document unless asked. Send it as a .PDF file since it's much cleaner and more professional looking.
- SelfControl is a program that blocks sites like Facebook, Twitter, and email for a specified period of time.
- When proofreading, read your document out loud to yourself. Your mouth will catch errors your mind might glance over.
- Being surrounded by the color yellow will help you stay focused. Yellow decreases the production of melatonin, the hormone that makes you sleepy.
- You are more likely to remember something you've written in blue ink than something you've written in black ink.
- Want to remember your notes more easily? Use a weird font style. Studies have shown the uniqueness of a font will make you more likely to remember what's written.
- It's actually better to take exams on an empty stomach. Hunger improves focus.
Taken from the book Life Hacks by Keith Bradford